Why seek a Bisexuality-Aware Professional?
What qualifies a professional as "Bisexuality-Aware?"
- Bisexuals are often inaccurately perceived as a subcategory of the gay and lesbian community, when in fact
we have different social, legal and health concerns.
Bisexuality-Aware Professionals are knowledgeable about these concerns, and they
provide services which take bisexual folks' particular needs into account.
- Bisexuals sometimes face discrimination within the gay, lesbian and straight communities, and it can be important to work with a professional who
is friendly and welcoming towards bisexual clientele.
Are all of the professionals listed here bisexual themselves?
- The professionals who have chosen to list themselves in this directory have all stated to the directory coordinator that they
meet at least 3 of the following criteria for bisexuality-awareness:
- Believes that bisexuality is a valid lifestyle and is welcoming towards bisexual people
- Knows of several ways in which bisexuals' concerns differ from gays' and lesbians' concerns
- Is an active participant in bisexual community events or forums
- Has read 3 or more professional books or journal articles on bisexuality
- Has attended a professional workshop on the concerns of bisexual people
- Has worked professionally with several bisexual clientele in the past
- Has organized bisexually oriented support or social groups or workshops
- Has given lectures on bisexuality
- Has written articles or books on bisexuality
- Some are, some aren't. It is not necessary to identify as bisexual to possess an awareness
of the concerns and needs of the bisexual community.
To use the Bisexuality-Aware Professionals Directory:
- As with most directories, the listing of a professional in this directory is not an
indication that the professional has been personally screened or endorsed by the directory coordinator.
If you feel that a professional who is listed in this directory has made inaccurate claims
as to their credentials, then the directory coordinator can assist you in locating
the professional board which regulates said profession, so that you can file a complaint.
- This directory does not accept listings which involve sexual services, given the current
illegal status of such services in the jurisdiction in which the directory is hosted.
Acknowledgements and Links
- Do you want to give a printed announcement of the BAP directory to a friend or colleague? Here is a flier that you can pass around to other people or groups. It prints out best as a single page in Internet Explorer 6.0.